Friday, January 16, 2009

Shark Teeth

T is 7 1/2. He'll be 8 in May. On Monday, he lost his first baby tooth!

About 2 months ago, we saw this in his mouth....


See that big tooth coming in behind his lower, front left tooth? (Our left, not his.) We immediately made a dental appointment since that just didn't seem right and since his adult tooth looked like it was coming in way too far back due to his baby tooth being in the way. The dentist assured us this was perfectly normal, happens quite a bit and nothing to worry over. He said to make the next appt. 6 months out and if it wasn't resolved by then, he'd pull the baby tooth. He said not to worry about the placement of the adult tooth. He explained that the tongue pushing on it would put it in it's proper place without any thought or effort on the part of the child.

The dentist also said losing one's baby teeth late is normal and usually hereditary. Dave remembered that he lost his baby teeth late. Me, too. On my 8th grade school ID (yes, I still have it - don't you have yours?), if you look really closely, you can see a gap towards the back of my smile. I lost my last baby tooth in 8th grade. I was 12.

That baby tooth of T's wasn't even loose! Not even a little bit! We had T start working on it and it finally came out 2 months later! They have this really cool thing they do at T's school when a child loses a tooth. They get sent to the Vice Principal's office where the VP gives them a wee, plastic treasure chest that says Tooth Saver on it. This is the tiniest little plastic treasure chest you can imagine! Perfect for tiny baby teeth. I think it's a very sweet thing to do for the kids.

T came home from school, showed us his little treasure chest with the tooth inside it and then went to put it all under his pillow. He even wrote a note to the Tooth Fairy....
"Dear Tooth Fairy, this is my first tooth that's out ever! Love T. M.'

Unfortunately, the Tooth Fairy didn't have any cash on hand so after the boys were asleep, the Tooth Fairy borrowed a dollar from T's little brother and put it under T's pillow. D2 got paid back a few days later. The Tooth Fairy team took the wee chest with tooth and the note and put them in a safe place for sentimentality. One of the team may have laughed at the other team member who may've misted up a bit. Reports are still being confirmed.

Feelin' Fairylicious, Ruth!

7 comments:

pigbook1 said...

both of my bottom front teeth grew in like that. And yes, just gently pushing with the tongue to bring those two teeth forward fixed them just fine. In fact, those were the straightest, most in line teeth in my mouth (of course the rest of my teeth grew in and pushed stuff around, leading to braces)

Anonymous said...

Aww. When we were sorting through my mother's stuff after she died we found a little box with my baby teeth in it. Mothers have been doing that thing forever, I think.

Unknown said...

Awwww!!!! Very cute! They're getting big.

sophanne said...

One family I know had the kids negotiate with the grandfather who had a "direct line" to the tooth fairy- prices were ever-changing based on how many teeth had been lost and the condition of said tooth upon losing it. :)

That guys tooth is a real treasure

craftivore said...

At our house the tooth fairy forgot to come one night, it did remember the next night. DS blamed it on the plastic baggie they gave him at school to put it in, no cute treasure chests here. He now hates those baggies and claims that it took 3 days for the tooth fairy to get into it.

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I have a little box with my 23 yr old sons baby teeth in it and my almost 18 yr old daughters teeth in it.I will do the same with my 4 &2 year old girls as Iam a sentimental mom:)Hugs Darcy

Anonymous said...

No worries, I didn't lose my last one until I was 17. :( They had to surgically remove it. I doubt it will be that bad for him though. :)