Monday, November 10, 2008

SP13 Questionnaire

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I've become a bit of a fiber snob over the years and only like natural fibers. I've been in yarn swaps where my upstream partner said they only have access to the big craft stores and I've replied, "Really? Because you're online and there's tons of stuff online!" (What a snot I am, right? In real life, I was a bit more diplomatic.) I don't care for mohair or anything scratchy. I don't need any felting stuff.

Also, not likin' the cobweb yarn. I've got 3 or 4 skeins of the stuff and I just don't like working with it. I love lace knitting but only if it's in a weight of 28sts = 4" or more! I don't really have any use for wraps/stoles but I like lace knitting in socks, sweaters, scarves, etc. Know what I mean?

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?

I have a cardboard wine tube ($2 at Michael's!) that I store my old bamboo straights in, a fabric needle roll for some of my DPN's, and my other DPN's kind of roll around in a plastic bin full of knitting notions. I have a set of KnitPicks options (metal) in their little "book" thingy, a set of KnitPicks metal DPN's (US 0-3) in the case they came in and a ton of addi turbos in a Brown Sheep Company holder that makes me think of a CD case.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I learned in the summer of 2003 and my friend taught me. She's a midwife and I'm forever grateful! I feel I'm pretty advanced.


4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Etsy wish list
Amazon wish list

5. What's your favorite scent?

I like fresh, citrusy stuff. Grapefruit - love grapefruit! I don't burn candles but I love soap and body stuff.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?

I'm a fiend for sugar. Chocolate Riesen - well, chocolate anything really! I also love to try homemade sweets (cookies, sweet bread, whatever). And jam, love interesting jams.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?

I don't spin. I used to cross-stitch but I've got a huge, dusty, ignored bin of that stuff. I only knit now.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I'm pretty much wide open here. I've got everything from country to rock to classic rock, blues (love the blues), alternative, some classical. I have an iPod.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?

Again, pretty much wide open. I prefer dark and jewel tones. I don't like pastels, and I'm not a fan of yellow, orange or purple.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

One husband (for now - jk!), 2 little guys (7 and 5) and a cat.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?

All except ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

Again, I'm all over the place here. Socks, scarves, mitts, hats, sweaters, wraps. I don't do blankets and I don't do too many wraps.

13. What are you knitting right now?

How much time do you have? I'm almost done with a Pimlico Shrug. I've got 2 sweaters on neeldes (one for me, one for my husband), btw 3-5 socks, an Icarus (in waiting), a shrug I'm designing and don't even get me started on the WIP's in the Closet of No Return. I'm planning to start some serious Xmas knitting (3 hats, one bath mat, 4 pairs of slippers).

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?

yes!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

I'm pretty well set for needles. I prefer metal circulars and am completely addicted to my KnitPicks Options. That being said, I wouldn't mind trying some of their Harmony tips for my set! And I can always use a couple of extra cables (I use mostly the 32"ers) as I'm addicted to knitting but not as addicted to finishing anything as I out to be.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?

yes, both

17. How old is your oldest UFO?

I'd have to dig through the Closet of No Return but the one that jumps off the top of my head is about 2 years old. There's probably some older then that stuffed away in there, though.

18. What is your favorite holiday? What winter holiday do you observe?

We are NOT religious but we do Christmasy stuff. My favorite holiday is Halloween and my birthday (which I'm hoping the new president will make a national holiday).

19. Is there anything that you collect?

Hand-dyed sock yarn. Well, yarn in general.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I have no Wollmeise or STR. The STR I've been eyeing - Nodding Violet and Typhoon Tina, anything from the Raven Clan - any weight!

Oooh and Malabrigo! Malabrigo anything (but laceweight) and I've heard/seen around the web that new Malabrigo sock yarn. *drool*

I don't have subscriptions to the only mags I read - Vogue Knitting and Interweave Knits. I used to just use the 40% off coupons from the Sunday paper but recently, they stopped letting you use them on books/mags - drat!

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?

Not that I can think of.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?

I like to think I am! Despite some 30 skeins of sock yarn (and so many sock WIP's), I have yet to finish one! Still collecting...

toe to heel - 10"; arch circumference - 9"; base of the toes/pad of the foot circumference - 8"; ankle - 9.5"
I wear a US 8.5 or 9 shoe. Surprisingly big feet for someone of my stature (5'2").

23. When is your birthday?

4/13/70

24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?

5elementknitr

I'm adding my own questions here:

25. Are you in any Sock of the Month clubs?

I'm in Scout Swag and the Nefarious Yarn Clubs.

26. Anything else?

I have a cat and I keep it away from my yarn. Obviously, it doesn't live in a big hamster ball and is near things I'm actually working on but any other yarn is safely sequestered in bins behind the closed door to the basement.

I loathe anything smoky. Cigarette smoke, smoked meat, smoked cheese - barf!

I'd love to see what you have around your area. Whether it's edible or yarnible things, I love local stuff!

Forever addicted to swaps, Ruth!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and I have the same taste in colors. And you definitely should try the KP Harmony tips -- they are even pointier than the nickel-plated ones, and (I think) pointier than the Addi Lace circs. So pointy, in fact, that you absolutely cannot use them with a yarn that tends to split; I found that out.

Yarnhog said...

I'm not a swapper, but I got a kick out of reading your questionnaire. And I am so surprised you're only 5'2"! I pictured you being really tall. Isn't that funny?

Unknown said...

I'm a sock yarn collector too. It's just too easy to stash since you know what you want it to turn into.

Donna said...

You can still use the coupon from Hobby Lobby for mags.