Monday, May 21, 2007

What's Your Favorite Position?

Have you ever had a dream that made you mad in the dream and it was so real you woke up mad? Happened to me this morning. I dreamed I had to help put together this military reception for Samuel L. Jackson and I was in charge of getting the cake. It was supposed to be a surprise party/reception and when I brought the enormous cake I had to buy, there were like 8 other cakes and the person who made me buy the cake picked a different cake.... whatever. Woke up pissed.


Despite the weird dreams and the sometimes-stress-induced insomnia, I sleep really, really well. A chiropractor told me the secret to really good sleep. (I have mixed feelings about bone-jerkers, too. But that's a story for another day.) What position do you sleep in?


Massage Monday
Are you on your back? If you are, with no support, then your sacrum (tailbone) is pulling on your lower back all night. Are you on your side? If you are, with no support, then your elbow/forearm touching the bed is pulling your spine sideways and your knee/lower leg is pulling your pelvis sideways which is pulling your lower spine sideways and your spine is basically a big painful S. (Did I mention that I write really long sentences?) If you lay on your stomach.... well, just stop. There's no good way to lay on your stomach (unless a massage table is involved). Look at how cranked your neck is? Blood flow, people, it's a good thing.

The best way to support your body during the night is to have a little pillow nest. If you're on your back, you should have a good pillow under your head and a pillow under your knees. Go try it (when you're at home). Lay on your back w/o the pillow and see how your lower back pulls. Then put the pillow under your knees and see how much more comfortable your back feels.

When you're on your side, you should have a good pillow under your head, one between your arms (the huggy pillow) and one between your knees. Some people like a body pillow but I prefer two separate ones. You get really adept at taking it with you when you change sides or roll onto your back. (Actually, my huggy pillow is a teddy bear. Pillows are too big for my T-rex arms.) The pillow btw your knees should support your upper leg from the knee to the ankle. If you have just your knee on it, it's going to torque your leg weird and won't be as comfortable.

The chiro I talked to explained that most people toss and turn a lot during the night and it disturbs their sleep. He said, they do this because they simply are not comfortable! Makes sense, no? My husband jokes that when we met, he only used one pillow and now he has, like, 6. (Actually, when we met, he had these ancient, flat, pillows that most people keep in the garage and only break them out when they go camping.)


This past weekend was a lot of fun! We had the boys' birthday party from 10-12 on Sat morning. We had their party at Pump It Up. It's like jumpy castle heaven and after 1 1/2 hours in the jumpy castle room they go to the party room where they get to sit in this inflated throne and get their presents. So cute!


Dave especially liked the giant boxing gloves....



Then we came home, fed them, threw them into bed for naps so they'd be rested for the game. My husband got a killer price on some good tickets to the Royals/Rockies game at 6p. Of course, we forgot the camera for the first big league game we take the boys to. Bummer.

We had dinner at a restaurant outside the park, then we bought some peanuts on the way in and had a small, soft cooler full of snacks and Capri Suns. Apparently if you give small boys a constant influx of food, they'll last the whole game! They were awesome! Of course, D says, "How would you know, you knit the whole time." Yeah, I did. D's a big Royals fan and even has a pic of himself with George Brett when the man golfed on the course D used to run.

I took this top I'm designing and the sock I'm working on for Sockamania's May pattern. Didn't touch the sock, figured I wouldn't. I was at the point where I had to start the heel flap and I was a bit nervous about a) losing a needle, b) dropping a stitch and c) not being able to concentrate on the actual pattern.

For those of you that made it this far, here's a picture of said sock so far (graciously held by our friend Peto)....

The pattern is the Sockamania May pattern and the yarn is Jojoland Kaleidoscope (220 yards 100% Merino Wool; color HMOI). I got the yarn on ebay but they have a website.

I was hoping to have the first sock done by May 15. HAHAHAHA!!! Due to my weak math skills, mediocre knitting skills and a general lack of project monogamy, I'll be lucky to have the first one done by the end of the month. (NOT in any way the pattern's fault. It's my first sock/pattern with a chart/time using DPN's.) Completely deluded.

I'm going to go post my sock adventures at Sockamania now....

Still delusional, Ruth!

7 comments:

Throws Like A Girl said...

I'm going to try that pillow thing! Anyway, the yarn I've been using for socks is the same ball of Trekking XXL I got over at Yarn Arts in Parker. I'm pretty amazed at how many things I've been able to get out of one ball. I haven't been brave enough to take the urchins over to Pump it Up. Was it reasonable?

Olga said...

I've heard of the pillow thing but it seemed like it would be a pain to arrange 'em all the time. But I guess it's a small price to pay for some decent shut eye.I'm not doing the sockamania, whats the pattern on the sock? Looks veddy interesting......

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! You are EXTREMELY brave to face Pump it Up. That place is crazy!

I sleep on my side with the whole pillow thing.

Yarnhog said...

So, yeah, I once had a dream that my husband wanted a bunch of teenage boy toys to move in with us, and when I woke up, I was so pissed at him that I couldn't get past it for hours! He thinks this was unreasonable, but then, he didn't have the dream.

And I love Pump it Up! I've been to tons of parties there, and I'm always the only mom who runs through the obstacle course and jumps in the bouncies and slides down the slide. My youngest is now seven, though, and it's just not the thing anymore, apparently. I'm going to miss that place. Do you suppose people would come if I had my own birthday party there?

Faith said...

ooh lovely socks! I have two sisters and can't relate to boys, but yours look like a fun time- what great hair!

Chris said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Hee hee - I feel better about my 2/3 done first sock for Sockamania.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

You won the Schaefer Anne sock yarn!
All i need is an address and a name and I'll ship it out this week.

Congratulations. BTW your story was really funny. Thanks for manking my Monday birthday brighter

Nishanna
Nishanna@livejournal.com