Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Cake Anyone?

We've had more cake in this house then anyone has a right to. I made cupcakes on May 4 for Davis' b'day. They lasted about 24 hours. Then I made a sheet cake (their choices by the way) for Trevor on May 11 (the Friday before his b'day, May 14). On May 13, We had Dave's brother and wife over for dinner as well as his visiting parents. His mom bought a layer cake for dessert since D and I were cooking everything. Then the BIL and wife showed up with another cake that said "Happy Mother's Day". Then we had to buy a cake for the boys' b'day party on May 19! MIL bought it and of course she had to buy the biggest one available.

Can anyone blame me for cake-induced nightmares about cake? Never thought it was possible but I don't. Want. Anymore. Cake.

Nothing much on the knitting front. I'm still (and for the rest of my life, it seems) swatching the Drops Alpaca and the Ornaghi Filati Gong for the Ogee Tunic (from Knitting Nature) and the Mason-Dixon After Dark Nightie, respectively. (Seriously, really long sentences. It's a curse I have.)

OK, I try not to read other blogs before I post because I don't want to be unduly influenced for my subject du jour (read: I don't want to rehash/steal/bogart ideas). But.... I just read today's installment at Mason-Dixon and she mentioned the young relatives singing American Pie and how long the song is. It reminded me of a friend of mine from my Shiatsu class. She told us the story of a time when she and her friends were underage and they used to hang out at this bar. They'd hang there because the proprietors weren't all that diligent about carding and it was a place to waste time before the place they really wanted to be opened up. She told us that every time they were there, they'd go to the juke box and put in, like $5 worth of quarters and request American Pie about 15 times in a row. Then they'd leave. I love that song but that's just cruel.

So here's a video I like. It's actually really impressive knitting....
I was going to try to post it but my computer skills are famously lacking so here's a link. And thanks to NoMoreSweaters here's the video!



Photos tomorrow, Ruth!

6 comments:

Chris said...

Mmmm... cake... How about flourless chocolate cake??

Tangent - have you ever heard Madonna's cover of American Pie? Much shorter. :) I think it would be really evil to load up the jukebox with American Pie AND Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (which is, like, days long)...

Unknown said...

Mmmmm..... cake.....

Anonymous said...

I love the video!! Thanks for the link!

Faith said...

How sadistic! At our dive bar, there was always a jukebox war between the hipsters vs. locals. We'd play Sonic Youth, and they'd play that "Friends in low places" song. Those were the days.

Olga said...

WHOA. Visionary.

Throws Like A Girl said...

I love that video! Heh. I had a friend who used to always play Tori Amos' song Waitress for a certain server he couldn't stand at a bar. Amusingly enough, he still tipped her pretty well. He was a weird guy.

And too much cake? I was going to say never but there was a carrot cake incident where we had an entire sheet left over from a baptism. Couldn't touch cake for like at least a month. Grins.