Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Washie, Washie

Here's your Tuesday tip. This is not necessarily related to yarn.

This recipe will wash anything out of anything.

1 cup powder Clorox 2, 1 cup of powder Cascade dishwashing soap.

Run the water into the machine, add the powders, swish around. Add items to be washed, stop the washing machine and let things soak for an hour or overnite. Run as usual.

This works best with the hottest water the dirty items can stand but also works well with warm or cold water.

I found this recipe in one of the Tightwad Gazette books.

I never had a chance to use it until I moved out of a house and was cleaning out a closet. My grandma's good muslin sheets (which I thought were in my cedar chest) were on the floor of the closet and had been used by my Rottweiler as a bed. 3 years of grass, mud, and blood (in heat stuff, she's not a killer). Ground in and, I thought, hopeless. I remembered the recipe and gave it a shot. It cleaned the sheets completely.

It also works great on grease and other uncleanable stuff, too.

No comments: