Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Pimlico

The Pimlico Shrug - she is finished. And, dudes, she is HUGE!

Here's my friend Donna (who is not huge) modeling it for me....
Front...


Back....

Pattern: Pimlico Shrug from Knit2Together
Yarn: Alpaca with a Twist Highlander (7 skeins D'Lynn bought plus 2 more I bought to finish the edging)
Needles: Whatever was called for in the pattern (US 9 and US 7's I think)
Modifications: none

This thing is so warm and big, it's like wearing a really pretty, incredibly soft blanket. If you don't pull the back down over your tush, it has this big, unattractive bubble of knit fabric bagging around the back.

The pic's in the book have this piece as much shorter. I made it to specs and I'm sure it's probably a gauge issue on my part. The thing is, there's no real way to tell until you've done about 12" what it's going to look like when you're done. And the way it's shaped/sewn up, by the time you get to 12", you ain't froggin'.

I was so happy when D'Lynn picked this pattern and even happier when she picked the Highlander yarn. I've been wanting, for quite some time, to use that yarn and make this pattern. 2 birds with one stone! I was thinking about making one of these for myself as well but after finishing this, I know I won't. The main body of the piece is a 16 row repeat - it's actually the same 8 rows and the second set of 8 is just moved over 4 sts. It's interesting.... for awhile. You're supposed to repeat those 16 rows for 34". I remember measuring around 17" and almost crying. It's never ending and gets really dull. The 500+ stitch edging Bind-Off took me an hour.

The yarn is a dream. I have acquired much more of it and see no signs of ever knitting with any other yarn. (hah! I can't even say that with a straight face, but am still seriously loving that yarn!) The finished product that is Pimlico is lovely. But I won't be making another.

I'm mailing this tomorrow. I'll be borrowing it tonight to wear to my PTO meeting (it's snowing here, I want to wear a blanket!). The sleeves are a bit tight - my finishing skills aren't the best. I'm mailing it with some Eucalan, very explicit instructions on washing this thing (it felts within seconds which is great for spit-splicing and no-end-weaving but a bit scary for washing), and the number to D'Lynn's nearest LYS in case she wants someone to do a better job with those sleeve seams.

The FO parade marches on, Ruth!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked at the Pimlico shrugs in Ravelry. There is quite a lot of variation in length. It looks tres cozy!

Unknown said...

Well done. That looks so cozy!

Anonymous said...

I like the warm, tush-covering factor!

Corwink said...

Gorgeous!! That's a great color.

Sam said...

It looks fabulous. I love that it's a bit longer at the back.

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I love love love it:) Must resist urge to add another project to my list;)Hugs Darcy