Thursday, November 22, 2012

O is for Online

I don't think I've mentioned it, but my school COMPLETELY changed their program.  Someone warned me of this when I first started, but we were told that the catalog we got was the catalog we would follow for our graduation. 

They made every one in the entire school sign a form that said we had to follow the new catalog or we couldn't go to that school.  Sneaky, right?

In the long run, it doesn't really have anything to do with me.  It's mostly for people coming in fresh. 

The thing that bugs me about the school most is the software we have to use.  We get the software the first day of our first class.   We can't take the class that teaches us how to use the software until we are there for a year.  Nice.

I spend $15 a day on gas for my school commute.  I'm at a speed now where I don't have to be in theory class, and the academic I'm taking is the software class.  We don't have a teacher on-ground that teaches that class.  It's only available online.

So I decided to take a semester online.  I'd had experience with the tests the online students were given, and they are twice as hard as the tests they give on-ground.   One of the things they changed is that now, the online students get the same tests on-ground people get.  That was my deciding factor.

At least that's what I was told.  I don't get how they can constantly tell us one thing and then do whatever the hell they want.  Some of the tests are the same, but most are the much-harder tests of the past.

I did finally pass the speed test for Lit that was stumping me for so long.  And if I wasn't online this quarter, I never could have made the move to the new house the way we were able to make it.  So that was good.

I'm stumped at speed 140 now.  It's the speed I started this quarter with and I should actually be at 160.  For the first three weeks, I was on track for the Homework Challenge - doing 15 hours of practice a week.  Then we found the house and started the move.  sigh.

I gotta say though, it's SO awesome sleeping in an hour or 2 more a day than when I was on-ground.  It's nice to take the kids to school and pick them up.  It's nice to spend the time I'd normally be in the car commuting - to spend that time practicing instead. 

I'm going back on-ground in January.

Looking forward to seeing my school friends again, Ruth!

No comments: